Consumer Protection expertise
If you sell products or services to consumers, consumer protection laws cover how and what you can sell, how you advertise, and how to deal with customer complaints.
These laws apply not only to traditional “bricks-and-mortar” businesses, but also online traders and temporary operations like “pop-ups”. There are even specific rules to follow for some industries e.g. financial services and vehicle sales. In the digital age, if consumer issues are not handled carefully, this can cause irreparable damage to a brand’s image, and the way the world views the organisation and its values.
Whether your business is New Zealand or overseas based, or you are a customer to a business operating in New Zealand, our team can provide tailored advice across a suite of legislation (e.g. Consumer Guarantees Act, Fair Trading Act, Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act, and Privacy Act) covering a range of areas including:
- Privacy Act
- Fair Trading Act
- Consumer Guarantees Act
- Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act
- Consumer contracts
- Advertising, marketing, promotions, competitions and point of sale
- Regulatory compliance regarding products, packaging and services
- Privacy and data collection
- Product safety and recalls
- Investigations and prosecutions
- Intellectual property infringement and passing off claims
- Financial services and responsible lending
- Motor vehicles
Our experts have a long and proud history advising fast moving consumer goods and retail businesses, financial service providers, franchises, and their customers and we welcome the opportunity to assist you.